Friday, November 10, 2006

Red Hot Chili Peppers

So last weekend was the weekend I had been looking forward to for months. The Red Hot Chili Pepper Concert to which I had a ticket for the 15th row on the floor. The Concert blew me away, as i sang along to almost every song, including one of my favorites, I Could Have Lied, which i did not expect them to play. Needless to say it was one of the best shows ive ever seen.

After a while i got to thinking. What will future generations think of the music i am listening to now. Just as I look back on the music my parents grew up with, some good, some bad, (but thats true for all generations of music) I hear somethings that i just dont quite understand why people of the time thought they were so amazing. I mean, some of this is good, but i would not rank many older songs as my favorites. There are of chorse exceptions, but for the most part i wonder: What will people think of the music that my generation listens to? Where will musical forms go from here? Will my kids think of the red hot chili peppers as just some weird old band their father listens to? Is it a matter of what my generation grew up with as music? And what will future generations do to change the music?

These, I think, are a few interesting questions that i hope i remember in the future, say in 20 or 30 years. At that time maybe I will be able to reflect and find some awnsers to these quetions.

No comments: