Sunday, October 22, 2006

The Carter style

Currently I am taking guitar lessons here at college, and we have been givin several handouts of stuff to learn. One of these books was on blugrass like guitar. Much of the stuff sounds like country and other older styles. On the last page of this book, which i found out recently, is a page entitled "The Carter Style." Because of my FYS I realized that the page was actually music from the Carter Family. I tried to play this for a while, and i realized that, me being new to the guitar, it was too hard for me to play. Just trying to play this song made be realize that country is not as simple as it often sounds to me. The speed at which the changing rythems are played was to much for me, so i ended up playing it much slower, often times with pauses that weren't supposed to be there but i had to create in order to play it. I realize that if I had more experiance on the guitar i might have been able to play this better, but still it comes to me as a suprise that rock music by Pink Floyd like "Wish you were here" is more simple then the Carter family.

1 comment:

Nic McPhee said...

This is really cool. It's always surprising how much depth and complexity there can be in this sort of "simple" music. I suspect that you could just work up the basic chords for most Carter Family songs without too much difficulty, but the patterns and ornamentation that they used to add depth to their music aren't so simple.

Just out of curiosity, what was the song?

Thanks for sharing this great story!