Monday, October 23, 2006

Folkways episode 4

When I first tried to listen to this episode I was annoyed to find that about a fifth of the way though it would stop loading for me. So after borrowing someone elses computer I finally got it to work.

Episode 4 to me was a little less enjoyable then episode 3 was. It focus on a set of folk records released by folkways in the 1950s of songs that had long been out of print. What I found interesting about this episode was the fact that Smith intentionally release only songs that had been recorded by companies for sale before. He did this because these songs were released for people who really wanted to hear their own music. This was the true folk music of the time, what the people played. On top of that I found it very interesting that he did not list the race of the artists on the records so that the music would be judged on its merit. This probally caused some people to listen to songs they normally would have avoided due to racism or just that fact that they did not think they would like so called "black" music. The is a very good way to circumvent any possiblity of racism creeping into music sales.

This is about all im gonna write from this, i was kinda working on my performance at the same time. At least im honest.

No comments: